lundi, décembre 29, 2003

Calorie counting

Vaguely interesting article in the Los Angeles Times about dieting trends. What is actually even more interesting is the inbox, detailing famous diets over the years. My favourite is this one:
1087
William the Conqueror tries a liquid diet for weight loss, taking to his bed and consuming nothing but alcohol.
I believe I've already attempted this one. Curious how they don't post his results. I'm sure one weighs less once one loses his liver due to cirrhosis. Another good one:
1898
The slow-chewing movement is founded by businessman Horace Fletcher. After he is denied life insurance because of his weight, Fletcher drops 40 pounds through a strategy of chewing each mouthful of food to liquid before swallowing it. "Fletcherism" takes off, rah-rahed by diet guru Kellogg, who invents a slow-chewing song for his patients.
Why yes! Of course you lose weight! Doesn't everyone know that the smaller the pieces you cut food into, the more the calories that escape through the cutting action? Although with this slow-chewing diet, you're more likely to spit your food, oh pardon, liquid, into the trash, thereby not consuming any calories at all.I personally think I'd just get so bored I'd rather not at eat at all. Ah, here we go, back to drinking.
1960s
Era of alcohol-friendly low-carb regimens sees publication of "The Drinking Man's Diet" by Gardner Jameson and Elliott Williams, and Sidney Petrie's "Martinis and Whipped Cream."
Again, I am familiar with this one all too well. Drink your dinner, and end up so miserable the next day you can't eat. Repeat for a week, and you'll be as thin as a whippet, and will have to take to your bed like William the Conqurerer. Finally:
1978
Herman Tarnower publishes the high-protein Scarsdale diet, 700 calories daily. He is killed by his lover in 1980.
I have to ask, are these two events related? If so, was his lover on his diet, and so utterly miserable that s/he decided to end it all, by killing him? Why not just... eat? I'm always in a better mood after I eat.