lundi, décembre 15, 2003

I am done! With exams, with med school in general, done done done!

But somehow I thought it would feel more exciting. Maybe it'll kick in when I return next semester to do research, and everyone else will still be in class. Hahahaha. I am going to be such a pain in the ass then, and everyone knows it.

And I get to go home tomorrow! Of course I have not started to pack yet. Why would I bother? That's what tomorrow morning is for.

Completely unrelated. It is very weird to think that next August, one of my closest friends is getting married. I've known her since 4th grade, and she's getting married in 8 months. She met her fiance our senior year of high school, and they're getting married entirely too soon - though they have been together for almost 6 years now. It doesn't help that I can't stand him. She doesn't know this, and it's a good thing she doesn't know about this blog. He is condescending and pretentious, and has the largest jaw in the world. Among my friends, he's known as the Joker (from Batman). He's also a regular stick-in-the-mud and already acts 50 at the young age of 23. For instance, they set aside a weekend to dust (that's right, dust), and of course argued over proper techniques. And every Sunday, without fail, he makes a large pot of soup for lunch for the rest of the week. But she's happy, and I'm happy that she's happy. However, they do fight about every last part concerning the wedding, as for some reason, he wants to be involved in every decision-making step. (What a stupid guy. Doesn't he realise that certain girls - his fiancee being one of them - have planned every last detail of their wedding since the age of five? The guy doesn't get any input. He just has to show up and choose groomsmen. That's the extent of his involvement.) And then I make fun of him with all my other friends. I feel like a horrible friend.. but really, he sucks.

And she referred to him as her husband the other day, which was just the weirdest thing ever. I asked her if it was weird for her to call him that, and she said that she's been doing it for awhile, so it's normal now.

I am jealous that she has everything already figured out. But at the same time, I wonder if she doesn't miss being a freewheeling single (not that she has ever been, so you can't miss what you don't know).

At the same time, I'm freaking out because I just realised that I've been going out with crankypants for 18 months, and that this coming summer will mean we've dated for 4 consecutive summers, and I am feeling this intense need to sow my wild oats, because commitment at this age is too much. It happens about every six months (usually in those time spans where I haven't seen him for over a month due to final exams), and is usually cured when I go on a date with someone else and then feel horrible about it afterwards, which keeps me in line for the next semester.