Wedding update:
Had lunch with the bride and the maid of honour today. Let's just come clean 'bout things. I cannot abide the MoH. She is one of those fake nice people, with a suburban socialite Junior League air, down to her hair, done in that pouffy bob (think Julia Stiles's character in Mona Lisa Smile). We were part of the same group in high school, because that's how things fell. Not because we actually enjoyed each other's company. And we knew that we weren't really friends, and completely and utterly lost touch after high school ended.
Then my friend decided to up and get married. And made this witch the MoH. Dammit, this means I'm going to have to Spend Time With Her and Pretend To Like Her.
After the requisite hug and double-kiss, and absolute gushing over this and that associated with the wedding, conversation naturally moved on to the significant others, then back to the wedding, then back to the SOs, etcetc. I'd recap here, but it was so boring that I wanted to shoot myself. However, I did want to ask, "So, when are you getting engaged?" A harmless question, on the surface, but definitely very loaded. You see, she's been dating her current boyfriend for the past 5 years, and they are no closer to getting to the altar than when they first started going out. And we all know that she wants nothing more than to be married. Yet he is not ready, and doesn't show any signs of being ready. And she plays it off as it being okay with her. But you know deep down that it's not.
Sometimes, I am so petty.
However, I feel justified in saying that the MoH has an altered sense of reality. That is, believing that the bridal party can up and take 3 weekends out of their life (if not more) to attend 1) a bridal shower in April, 2) the bachelorette party in June and then 3) the wedding itself. She sat there, talking about it as if well, certainly, everyone can arrange her schedule around the wedding and the related festivities.
If everyone lived out here in LA, it would work. But this is not the case - 4 of the bridesmaids, including me, live on the East Coast and the MoH and remaining bridesmaid live in LA. Of course, all these events are planned in LA. At least I'm from here, have parents that will be willing to pay for the plane ticket(s) and with whom I can crash, and plan on being here over the summer (the blissful life of an academic). The bride also lives on the East Coast, for that matter, but her parents will definitely spare no expense when it comes to their firstborn (and only daughter) getting married. The other 3 from the East Coast.. hm, not so much, and from what the bride tells me, money is rather tight with them.
I know it's the bride's only wedding (one hopes). We all want to make her happy. But I don't want to be in the vicinity of the MoH (who has been happily planning everything without consulting anyone but the bride) or the bride when they find out that half of the bridal party cannot show up to either of the first two events, due to time restrictions (they are all also in the real working world, which I hear isn't so flexible with vacation time) or financial restrictions.
Oh well. All I hope is that the bachelorette party is in Vegas. Even though I hate Vegas, it'd be fun to have a bachelorette party there. At least there will be lots of cute guys. (One hopes.. but not me. I am dating someone. That's right.) But that's me. The bride is definitely more placid and not as adventuresome (this girl Never drove beyond the San Marino/Pasadena (select parts only, please!) borders in the 18 years she lived here before going to college), and the MoH is pulling for us to rent a house near Palm Springs instead. Maybe we can then arrange it so it's the same weekend as the bachelor party, which apparently will be a camping trip, sans strippers. And then the bride and groom can sneak off and find each other and hug and swear that they will never again be apart, a la Trista and Ryan. How heart-touching.
(Yes, lots of posts! First night in awhile that I haven't been busy, and I find that I don't know what to do with myself.)
Had lunch with the bride and the maid of honour today. Let's just come clean 'bout things. I cannot abide the MoH. She is one of those fake nice people, with a suburban socialite Junior League air, down to her hair, done in that pouffy bob (think Julia Stiles's character in Mona Lisa Smile). We were part of the same group in high school, because that's how things fell. Not because we actually enjoyed each other's company. And we knew that we weren't really friends, and completely and utterly lost touch after high school ended.
Then my friend decided to up and get married. And made this witch the MoH. Dammit, this means I'm going to have to Spend Time With Her and Pretend To Like Her.
After the requisite hug and double-kiss, and absolute gushing over this and that associated with the wedding, conversation naturally moved on to the significant others, then back to the wedding, then back to the SOs, etcetc. I'd recap here, but it was so boring that I wanted to shoot myself. However, I did want to ask, "So, when are you getting engaged?" A harmless question, on the surface, but definitely very loaded. You see, she's been dating her current boyfriend for the past 5 years, and they are no closer to getting to the altar than when they first started going out. And we all know that she wants nothing more than to be married. Yet he is not ready, and doesn't show any signs of being ready. And she plays it off as it being okay with her. But you know deep down that it's not.
Sometimes, I am so petty.
However, I feel justified in saying that the MoH has an altered sense of reality. That is, believing that the bridal party can up and take 3 weekends out of their life (if not more) to attend 1) a bridal shower in April, 2) the bachelorette party in June and then 3) the wedding itself. She sat there, talking about it as if well, certainly, everyone can arrange her schedule around the wedding and the related festivities.
If everyone lived out here in LA, it would work. But this is not the case - 4 of the bridesmaids, including me, live on the East Coast and the MoH and remaining bridesmaid live in LA. Of course, all these events are planned in LA. At least I'm from here, have parents that will be willing to pay for the plane ticket(s) and with whom I can crash, and plan on being here over the summer (the blissful life of an academic). The bride also lives on the East Coast, for that matter, but her parents will definitely spare no expense when it comes to their firstborn (and only daughter) getting married. The other 3 from the East Coast.. hm, not so much, and from what the bride tells me, money is rather tight with them.
I know it's the bride's only wedding (one hopes). We all want to make her happy. But I don't want to be in the vicinity of the MoH (who has been happily planning everything without consulting anyone but the bride) or the bride when they find out that half of the bridal party cannot show up to either of the first two events, due to time restrictions (they are all also in the real working world, which I hear isn't so flexible with vacation time) or financial restrictions.
Oh well. All I hope is that the bachelorette party is in Vegas. Even though I hate Vegas, it'd be fun to have a bachelorette party there. At least there will be lots of cute guys. (One hopes.. but not me. I am dating someone. That's right.) But that's me. The bride is definitely more placid and not as adventuresome (this girl Never drove beyond the San Marino/Pasadena (select parts only, please!) borders in the 18 years she lived here before going to college), and the MoH is pulling for us to rent a house near Palm Springs instead. Maybe we can then arrange it so it's the same weekend as the bachelor party, which apparently will be a camping trip, sans strippers. And then the bride and groom can sneak off and find each other and hug and swear that they will never again be apart, a la Trista and Ryan. How heart-touching.
(Yes, lots of posts! First night in awhile that I haven't been busy, and I find that I don't know what to do with myself.)
0 Comments:
Enregistrer un commentaire
<< Home