vendredi, janvier 30, 2004

Proving that the cold has indeed warped my mind, I have lately become a fan of country music. Goodbye Red Hot Chili Peppers, goodbye Buddha Bar, goodbye Saint Etienne. Hello, cowboy boots and cowboy hats

My new favourite song, which has supplanted Jet's Are You Gonna Be My Girl, is Brooks and Dunn's You Can't Take the Honky Tonk Out of the Girl. But seriously. There is just something to the lyrics that stick in your head, and you can't get them out.
Yeah, Connie came back from her second cousin's wedding.*
First time she'd been home in a year or two
Just in time for the rehearsal dinner,
That crazy Connie wasn't wearing any shoes.

Chorus
Yeah, she lives in L.A. she flies to New York City;
That woman's been around the world.
You can take that girl out of the honky tonk,
But you can't take the honky tonk,
Take the honky tonk out of the girl.

Well, that dinner broke up at around 11:30.
Boys went out to do what boys do.
Connie said: "Hey girls, let's huddle up.
"'Round somethin', 'bout a hundred proof."

Repeat chorus.

Well, at nine a.m., out in front of that church,
People goin' nuts looking for the groom.
Somebody says: "Hey, by the way, where's Connie?"
She's run off with that boy to Cancun.

Repeat chorus.

*I swear, listening to the song, the line is "Yeah, Connie came back for her second cousin's wedding,", but the website says "from", not "for". "For" makes so much more sense though.
(Lyrics courtesy of their website.)
I am not even sure what this "honky tonk" is. I think I just like singing it. From what I gather, it seems to be a certain lack of morals and ethics and decency, and a propensity for drinking and trouble-making, as this girl Connie runs off with the groom the night before his wedding. Maybe that's why I like the song so much.

Next thing you know I'll be wanting to learn how to line dance and two step. Then it's all really over.