jeudi, janvier 15, 2004

Why I like staying in crankypants's apartment:
  1. He has cable. I do not. While I can get along fine with just NBC, there is a certain luxury to watching the Food Network all day long. Between that, MTV, and Mad About You, there is no reason to leave the apartment. Actually, I just need the Food Network. He thinks I'm nuts when he leaves me watching the Food Network, and returns 3 hours later, and I'm still on the couch watching the Food Network.

  2. He has a toaster. I do not. This does not seem like such a big deal, but seeing that I'm addicted to bread, not having a toaster in my apartment means that I eat less toast, which is good for me. But while I'm here, it's toast all the time. Yummy.

  3. He has DSL. I have a dial-up. I can't validate the cost of DSL just for one person, but he seems to be able to do so.
Weird things about crankypants's apartment:
  1. He has two printers, one laserjet and one inkjet. Why does he need two? I really don't know. He says the one is better for colour printing, and the while the other one only prints in black and white, he can highlight it and the text won't run.

  2. He has an electric hole puncher. That's right. Because apparently a manual one is too much work to operate. This contraption, however, can only punch 15 pieces of paper at a time, and does each hole one at a time. It's a little ridiculous.

  3. He has 8 lamps in his living room. 1 of these is a chandelier, 1 a 3-headed lamp. That means there are 14 light bulbs in this one room alone. When he is present, more often than not at least 2/3rd of the lights will be on. One day, the light bulbs are going to revolt and not turn on. (This is especially strange because for the longest time, in my common room, I had Christmas lights and one desk lamp. I obviously did not really study.)

  4. He decided, one day, that the linoleum in his kitchen and bathroom was ugly, and decided to "retile" using large squares of black and white contact paper. He did not cut the squares straight. The end result is a rather warped Alice-in-Wonderland flooring.

  5. For the longest time, he was missing his card table (which serves as his dining table) and a couple of chairs because they were in his trunk. Yes, of his car. When it's nice outside, he likes to drive next door and set up his table and chairs on the front lawn of some university building and study there. There are patches of dead grass on their lawn because he does this often enough, and sits in the same spot every time.
But enough of that. Needless to say, he is a bit of a weirdo. An endearing one, but one nonetheless. We haven't even touched upon his closet yet. Oh dear.