After my spell at the French-American school today, playing with all the 3-6 year olds (I feel that they give me the youngest age group because I'm the only one willing to play with them, plus, I'm the only one who speaks English fluently), I have changed my views on what gender I want my children to be (because of course, I have planned that far in advance. I also have my whole wedding planned out, every done except for the groom, who will obviously be expected to just fall in with my plans or otherwise we're not getting married).
For the longest time, I wanted 2 girly girls and 1 boy. It was the perfect setup. I'd have two darling girls to dress up, and the boy would be older so he could find his sisters boyfriends. (Obviously, I do not have an older brother and wish I had.) [Addendum: Crankypants has a younger sister, and has informed me that this is not how it works. Rather, they spend their time trying to protect their sister and ensure that she never has a boyfriend, let alone one who is one of his friends, especially if they're "nymphomaniac child molestors", while they share the same roof. I can't wait to meet the NCM. Absolutely can't.]
However, today, I was lucky enough to have two bawling 4-year-old girls on my hands. Zoe, a particularly cute blonde with pale blue eyes, has this problem where she needs my full attention, at all times. I'm not allowed to talk to, let alone play with, anyone else while she's around. This is a small problem, becuase I usually have at least 6 children to deal with at any given time. But Zoe, if you say no to her, she immediately pouts, her lower lips starts to stick out and wobble, and next thing you know, she's sulking in the corner, tears welling up in her eyes. Today, she wanted to play a French variation of Mother May I. However, she lost. Immediately, she accused Emily, the other girl playing, of cheating, and when I tried to say that no, Emily didn't cheat... off Zoe was, in the corner, sucking her thumb and pouting.
Usually, Zoe is the only petulant 4-year-old I have to deal with (she also claims she has no friends and will only be my partner, because she loves me the most). Yet, a new kid started coming after-school, Meghan. Meghan has a darling light-brown bob, a retrousse nose and the cutest jumpers. My first introduction to her was when she was playing in the dirt and yelled "Look!" So I came over, and she showed me a worm. Ew. I think I screamed and told her to drop it. Then I told one of the boys to bring it over to one of the teachers and scare her. Haahaa, I'm mean. Anyway. Meghan. She was off happily playing with Emily, when all of a sudden (while I was trying to comfort Zoe without telling her to shut the hell up and stop pouting) she came running over to me, bawling. Apparently, Emily was tired of playing with her, and in between big sobs, Meghan said that sometimes in the day she liked to play with Lily and sometimes Claire, but that Emily does it back to her and will play with Jill and Sarah but not her, but now Emily was being mean and playing with James and she was only doing it to get back at her. I did not really follow their argument, but Emily was all matter-of-fact explaining her point of view, while Meghan was sniffling, tears running down her face. Then Meghan said what had to be the line of all lines: "I just want to colour now, colouring makes me happy. In my heart. I feel happy in my heart when I colour."
That's it. No more girls for me. At least, no cute girly girls who are only going to cry from the time they're born until they get married and aren't my problem anymore. If I'm having a girl, it's going to be an Emily. Who, if you've noted, is the unifying element of Zoe's and Meghan's bawling-fests today. My girl is going to be tough and not a crier (though hopefully not a tomboy either. Somehow it will work out) Or I'm going to have males who adore their mother and protect her from life's harms. Such as taking out the trash and washing dishes. Because by golly, when I have children, I'm gonna teach them how to do household chores, unlike my parents who spared me this very necessary task.
For the longest time, I wanted 2 girly girls and 1 boy. It was the perfect setup. I'd have two darling girls to dress up, and the boy would be older so he could find his sisters boyfriends. (Obviously, I do not have an older brother and wish I had.) [Addendum: Crankypants has a younger sister, and has informed me that this is not how it works. Rather, they spend their time trying to protect their sister and ensure that she never has a boyfriend, let alone one who is one of his friends, especially if they're "nymphomaniac child molestors", while they share the same roof. I can't wait to meet the NCM. Absolutely can't.]
However, today, I was lucky enough to have two bawling 4-year-old girls on my hands. Zoe, a particularly cute blonde with pale blue eyes, has this problem where she needs my full attention, at all times. I'm not allowed to talk to, let alone play with, anyone else while she's around. This is a small problem, becuase I usually have at least 6 children to deal with at any given time. But Zoe, if you say no to her, she immediately pouts, her lower lips starts to stick out and wobble, and next thing you know, she's sulking in the corner, tears welling up in her eyes. Today, she wanted to play a French variation of Mother May I. However, she lost. Immediately, she accused Emily, the other girl playing, of cheating, and when I tried to say that no, Emily didn't cheat... off Zoe was, in the corner, sucking her thumb and pouting.
Usually, Zoe is the only petulant 4-year-old I have to deal with (she also claims she has no friends and will only be my partner, because she loves me the most). Yet, a new kid started coming after-school, Meghan. Meghan has a darling light-brown bob, a retrousse nose and the cutest jumpers. My first introduction to her was when she was playing in the dirt and yelled "Look!" So I came over, and she showed me a worm. Ew. I think I screamed and told her to drop it. Then I told one of the boys to bring it over to one of the teachers and scare her. Haahaa, I'm mean. Anyway. Meghan. She was off happily playing with Emily, when all of a sudden (while I was trying to comfort Zoe without telling her to shut the hell up and stop pouting) she came running over to me, bawling. Apparently, Emily was tired of playing with her, and in between big sobs, Meghan said that sometimes in the day she liked to play with Lily and sometimes Claire, but that Emily does it back to her and will play with Jill and Sarah but not her, but now Emily was being mean and playing with James and she was only doing it to get back at her. I did not really follow their argument, but Emily was all matter-of-fact explaining her point of view, while Meghan was sniffling, tears running down her face. Then Meghan said what had to be the line of all lines: "I just want to colour now, colouring makes me happy. In my heart. I feel happy in my heart when I colour."
That's it. No more girls for me. At least, no cute girly girls who are only going to cry from the time they're born until they get married and aren't my problem anymore. If I'm having a girl, it's going to be an Emily. Who, if you've noted, is the unifying element of Zoe's and Meghan's bawling-fests today. My girl is going to be tough and not a crier (though hopefully not a tomboy either. Somehow it will work out) Or I'm going to have males who adore their mother and protect her from life's harms. Such as taking out the trash and washing dishes. Because by golly, when I have children, I'm gonna teach them how to do household chores, unlike my parents who spared me this very necessary task.
0 Comments:
Enregistrer un commentaire
<< Home