In a continuing series, another illustrative example of how crankypants and I differ.
Another example:
Him: Congrats on getting into grad school! It ranks very well, too.You mean, you don't apply to schools depending on how mellifluous their name is? But really, I'm a better person, because I don't rely on statistics and numbers to validate myself and the various educational institutions I attend/hope to attend. (That, and US News consistently screws over my alma mater for not having a large enough endowment. Money isn't everything.) Or, rather, I forget that they exist. Because I am very often clueless and forgetful, and like to do things my way, the harder and more difficult way. It makes life fun.
Me, thinking (a rare occasion, but I'd had a couple of glasses of red wine, and red wine always makes me introspective): Rankings? Who was even talking about rankings?
Him, continuing: What do your other schools rank? Here, let me look it up on US News..
Me, still not having said a word yet: Wow. I didn't think about rankings at all. Just think, I could have used the rankings as a starting point for applying to grad schools. But no, I did it the hard way, I just randomly searched various universities to see if they had an education school. I am such a moron sometimes. Okay, often. I could have made my life so much easier.
Him: Hello, are you still there? I'm on the website now. Oh look, Madison ranks in the top 20!
Another example:
Me: I can't believe you didn't watch the final episode of Sex and the City!Yes, I'm such an alcoholic. A clueless alcoholic, even. But I'm okay with it.
Him: I hate that show. All those girls are so annoying. Besides, I have this oral presentation on the Rehnquist to work on..
Me: They are not annoying. I am going to buy all 6 seasons on DVD, and make you watch them with me.
Him: Ergh.
Me: How's the report coming?
Him: I've read the book, it's just getting thought down on paper..
Me: You know what I used to do undergrad, and it worked every time?
Him: Smile blankly and nod?
Me: That is definitely the meanest thing you've said all night. No, have a couple of drinks. Just enough to get you tipsy, so like three or four drinks. I found that then, my French just flowed so fluently..
0 Comments:
Enregistrer un commentaire
<< Home