mardi, février 17, 2004

One day, I announced proudly to crankypants: "I've started taking multivitamins." Now, this was a big step for me. Since I started college, my parents have sent me off to school with a large bottle of multivitamins, and I was previously very successful in forgetting that I was supposed to take them. I would leave them near my makeup. I would leave them next to my computer. I would leave them next to my bed. But no matter where I left them, I'd overlook them. But since finding out that I should start taking folic acid before I even think of having children, in order to prevent neural tube defects, I've been very diligent in taking my multivitamins. Yet, somehow, crankypants wasn't as proud of me as he should have been, replying, "Well, if you eat a balanced diet, you don't need multivitamins."

What a party pooper. I gave him a withering look, and he remembered who he was talking to. I am not good at eating a balanced diet. As one of my favourite quotes goes: "It is a difficult matter to argue with the belly since it has no ears." (Cato the Elder) I eat what my stomach dictates. I never deny a craving, and believe me, I have many of them. This illustrates perfectly one of the fundamental differences between us.

For the first time, I went grocery shopping with him yesterday. Previously, anytime we've actually gone to the market, it was to arrange a picnic lunch on the beach, which consists mainly of shrimp cocktail and lots of cheese. I've never seen what he really buys in a market.

Needless to say, I love shopping for food in the market - primarily because it involves my favourite hobby - well, more a career, really - shopping. I never have a shopping list, which is always a big mistake. The only things I buy with consistency are orange juice and eggs. Let me loose in a nicely arranged place like Whole Foods, and I guarantee I will leave with at least 4 or 5 absolutely useless items, such as marcona almonds. Oooh, white truffle oil. Yummy, peach nectar. And what are these, French nibbling cookies. Definitely a must-try. I wander the aisles aimlessly, randomly putting fun things in my basket. And I never really end up with anything substantial, such as, oh, milk or cereal, but rather different types of granola and at least 5 kinds of cheeses. And you'll be lucky if I leave with anything healthy such as vegetables or fruit.

Now, grocery shopping with crankypants is a very different experience. He definitely has a shopping list tucked away in his head. And I just marvelled at how he passed up fun things like microwaveable chicken nuggets and Terra blue potato chips. The most unhealthy thing that he had in his shopping cart was the Krispy Kreme doughnut that I had put in there for later snacking. He bought lots of fruit, lots of vegetables, some breakfast foods, milk, and other similarly healthy and practical stuff. It was quite remarkable. I was simply in awe. He does eat a balanced diet. And when I pointed this out to him, he seemed rather surprised, as if he hadn't thought about it before. This explains the lack of snack foods in his apartment. It's not that he's avoiding them, it's just that it doesn't cross his mind to buy them. I am dating a robot. Who doesn't snack? It's just not human.

Then I made him clean out his fridge, and it made me feel better, somewhat. He doesn't throw anything away. Thus, he has a fridge that contains such things as: 10 different cartons of blueberries, each with about 4-5 blueberries left. Three boxes of Aunt Jemima pancake mix, each with approximately 1/4 cup of mix left. About 2 bites left of a bagel. Lemonade, from when I had massive lemonade cravings back in September. So on, and so forth. His fridge was absolutely packed, and he lives by himself. We filled up two large trashbags with the random mostly-empty cartons in his fridge. (Plus, I'm anal about how one's refrigerator is organised, and had to redo his. It looks much better now, in my humble opinion.)

I just came from the market. Random purchases today include pumpkin-filled tortellini, garlic flavoured olive oil, and overpriced but tasty mache. At least my fridge is filled with more interesting foods than his. Even though it's not a competition, it still makes me feel better about my erratic purchases.