mardi, mars 02, 2004

I must be sick.

Given the choice of a day trip to Vieques or Culebra, both islands off the eastern coast of Puerto Rico, I opted for the smaller of the two, Culebra, saying, "We can then rent bikes and bike from beach to beach!"

Yes, I actually used the word bike in the transportation sense of the word. I've gotta have some sort of virus, because why would I choose biking over renting a jeep on Vieques and just driving everywhere? I haven't been on a bike since junior year, when our abroad program sent us to Ile d'Yeu, a small island off the western coast of France, closest large city being Nantes. There was no way to get around the island except on bikes. I had to borrow sneakers because I obviously didn't bring any to Paris. Also, I have Barbie feet. They don't do well on bikes. Not to mention that I never remember which brake stops the back wheel and which stops the front wheel, so I don't use either and instead just take my feet of the pedals until I slow down enough so that I can place my feet on the ground. It was a disaster then. It's not going to be any better now.

But then, my momentary delusional spell over, I added, "Just so you know, I'm not bringing sneakers with me. I will bike in flipflops. And you can carry my stuff for me too."

Glad to know that all's okay in the land of high-maintenance.