mardi, mars 16, 2004

Obligatory mopey post.

I highly recommend, that at least at one point in your life, that you travel with a significant other. No, more than just a weekend trip, but a real vacation. A nice solid week-long jaunt to some foreign locale, preferably heavy on the beaches and light on the shopping - yes, rather like what I just did.

It was especially pleasant because crankypants took care of all the details. I didn't have to bother keeping track of my boarding pass while in transit - and I am always misplacing that stupid thing - because guess what? Crankypants had it. I didn't have to lift any heavy bags, didn't have to figure out how we were getting from one point to another, etcetc. In essence, I didn't have to think of any of the technical details, as he dealt with all of it. Of course, this may sound just like travelling with the parents - but it is not the same at all. At All. For instance, with your parents, they generally have the last say, and getting drunk with them is not that fun. With a significant other, you get equal - if not more - say, getting drunk with them is fun, and then there's some great sex thrown into the mix. That latter is key.

Lots of beaches are preferable. There is nothing like sunning during the day, not doing anything strenuous, then later comparing tans. It beats walking around all day looking at cultural things and then being so exhausted that you don't want to do anything but sleep at the end of the day. Not that I'm a complete heathen - you need a couple of things to look at besides the ocean, otherwise your brain will atrophy. The lack of shopping - so shocking coming from me! - is also important, because if there are stores, odds are that you will end up separating during the day, and then what's the point of vacationing together?

Of course, then if you're in a long-distance relationship as I am, you get back from the idyllic week , return to the bitter cold of the Northeast, and mope around, missing the sun desperately and missing your boyfriend perhaps even more. But at least there's some light gleam of comfort coming from the fact that it's almost summer and you'll have an entire 3 uninterrupted months together.