Coqui, coqui!
So, when we were in Puerto Rico, one night we ate at this restaurant, which bills itself as serving aphrodiasiacal food, like conch and prawns and oysters. But that's not the important part of the story. (The food, incidentally, was very good.) At some point, I was bored - we were probably waiting for our check - so I took that opportunity to play with crankypants's cell phone. Now his cell, unlike mine, is all sorts of fun. It has this little alien called mi amigo that does fun things on the screen, like take a bath and do pushups, and all sorts of other neat features that my piece of crap phone doesn't have.
Now, the courtyard we were sitting in was awash with the sound of treefrogs. They go "coqui! coqui!" and it's really quite amusing. As I was watching mi amigo dance across the screen, I wondered if I could perhaps change his ringer so that instead of playing "When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again" (which I had changed it to), it could play the sound of treefrogs. That would be so cool, I thought. So I scrolled through his options. Unfortunately, there wasn't one where you could record a ring. Apparently you have to download them from somewhere. Darn. There was, however, some option called "auto answer" where you could record sounds. I wasn't really quite sure what this did - probably answered the phone for you? - but whatever, more importantly, it let me record! So record I did. 20 seconds of "coqui! coqui!"
I meant to call his phone to see what would happen, but I forgot. Seriously, I forgot. That's what happens when I get distracted. So I forgot that I had futzed with his phone. This is important.
After our lovely vacation, when we were back in our respective states, I got a phone call from crankypants. An irate phone call. Apparently, what "auto answer" does is if the person doesn't pick up the phone within a certain amount of time, the caller automatically receives the recorded message, and then the phone hangs up on them. I personally think this is stupid - shouldn't the caller get to go into voicemail? But hey, I didn't design the phone. So crankypants had been getting lots of calls from some very confused people who said that they had called his phone, and that they had heard "coqui! coqui!" and then that the phone hung up on them. One person even thought that crankypants himself was making the random sounds.
Personally, I think this is hysterical. Can you imagine calling someone, getting random nature sounds, and then being hung up on? Heehee. He was mad, however, because he didn't know what I had done to his phone and neither did the people at Sprint. Stupid Sprint people. Shouldn't they know how to use their phones? Also, shouldn't crankypants know how to use his own phone? Please, it took me five seconds to figure out how to change his ring - which he still doesn't know how to do, hence "When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again." It's great when I forget he's in class and he forgets to turn his phone off and the thing plays an electronica version of the song. So he called me, and if I had been there, I'm sure he would have throttled me. Luckily, I'm smart and know how to use technology, and with some help, told him how to get rid of this "auto answer" function.
Every time I think of this, I laugh. Plus, he doesn't know that I saved the treefrog sound in another undisclosed location on his phone (under "Voice Memo," in case you're wondering), just in case. He doesn't think it's so funny, though. Someone needs a sense of humour! I don't think he's ever going to trust his phone to me again. Which is sad, because I enjoy watching mi amigo and his antics. It's not alien porn, whatever crankypants may say.
Now, the courtyard we were sitting in was awash with the sound of treefrogs. They go "coqui! coqui!" and it's really quite amusing. As I was watching mi amigo dance across the screen, I wondered if I could perhaps change his ringer so that instead of playing "When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again" (which I had changed it to), it could play the sound of treefrogs. That would be so cool, I thought. So I scrolled through his options. Unfortunately, there wasn't one where you could record a ring. Apparently you have to download them from somewhere. Darn. There was, however, some option called "auto answer" where you could record sounds. I wasn't really quite sure what this did - probably answered the phone for you? - but whatever, more importantly, it let me record! So record I did. 20 seconds of "coqui! coqui!"
I meant to call his phone to see what would happen, but I forgot. Seriously, I forgot. That's what happens when I get distracted. So I forgot that I had futzed with his phone. This is important.
After our lovely vacation, when we were back in our respective states, I got a phone call from crankypants. An irate phone call. Apparently, what "auto answer" does is if the person doesn't pick up the phone within a certain amount of time, the caller automatically receives the recorded message, and then the phone hangs up on them. I personally think this is stupid - shouldn't the caller get to go into voicemail? But hey, I didn't design the phone. So crankypants had been getting lots of calls from some very confused people who said that they had called his phone, and that they had heard "coqui! coqui!" and then that the phone hung up on them. One person even thought that crankypants himself was making the random sounds.
Personally, I think this is hysterical. Can you imagine calling someone, getting random nature sounds, and then being hung up on? Heehee. He was mad, however, because he didn't know what I had done to his phone and neither did the people at Sprint. Stupid Sprint people. Shouldn't they know how to use their phones? Also, shouldn't crankypants know how to use his own phone? Please, it took me five seconds to figure out how to change his ring - which he still doesn't know how to do, hence "When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again." It's great when I forget he's in class and he forgets to turn his phone off and the thing plays an electronica version of the song. So he called me, and if I had been there, I'm sure he would have throttled me. Luckily, I'm smart and know how to use technology, and with some help, told him how to get rid of this "auto answer" function.
Every time I think of this, I laugh. Plus, he doesn't know that I saved the treefrog sound in another undisclosed location on his phone (under "Voice Memo," in case you're wondering), just in case. He doesn't think it's so funny, though. Someone needs a sense of humour! I don't think he's ever going to trust his phone to me again. Which is sad, because I enjoy watching mi amigo and his antics. It's not alien porn, whatever crankypants may say.
0 Comments:
Enregistrer un commentaire
<< Home