mercredi, juin 23, 2004

Saved!

Okay, so normally I don't go see teeny-bopper movies - oh wait, that is such a lie! As I get older, I find that my taste in movies only gets younger. Nothing like maturity. But anyway. Saved! is not really a teeny-bopper movie. Sure, it takes place during the character's senior year in high school, but it's so much deeper than that.

I mean, in what normal teeny-bopper movie do you get a girl, Mary (Jena Malone), who out to save her boyfriend from being gay, thinks that Jesus is telling her to sleep with her boyfriend, even though they're ultra-Christian. And, as luck would have it, she gets pregnant on the first go. Yet her boyfriend is still gay, and he gets sent to a "rehab" hospital. Scared, poor Mary can't really tell anyone about this - because, well, good Christian girls wait.

Blahdeblah, suffice it to say that somehow Mary goes through the Entire School Year with only two people knowing that she's pregnant. It's amazing. And as it's a movie that thumbs its nose at ultra-Christians, well, hijinks ensue, and in the end there is a big moral speech about how Christianity should accept everyone, including those jewish, gay, crippled, pregnant, etcetc.

Anyway, my favourite character is Hilary Faye, played by Mandy Moore. Teeming with religious sanctity, she is Out To Save The World, and takes this role very very seriously. She kidnaps Mary and attempts to perform an exorcism. She is continually trying to convert the one Jewish girl in the school. She is not mean, per se, just so caught up in her vision of what is right that she loses her grasp on reality. I am generally not a huge Mandy Moore fan, but she plays this character well. I can't believe Anne Hathaway first had this role, I can't see her as anyone other than that ugly-duckling-turned-swan-but-that-didn't-really-surprise-anyone-did-it girl from The Princess Diaries.

The best line in the movie? When Mary's mom, played by Mary-Louise Parker, who is one of my favourite actresses, finally (after nearly nine months) realises that her daughter is pregnant. "I thought she was just stress-eating, and I didn't want to give her a complex."

My only quibble is that the movie could have been sharper than it was. Full of funny moments, none were truly hysterical. But I guess you can't get too mean. I would recommend you go out and see this movie. It's a couple of hours of good fun, and let me say, I just can't wait for Princess Diaries 2 (sorry, Anne Hathaway regression there, not related at all to Saved!).