vendredi, septembre 10, 2004

Greetings from DC!

I actually was quite serious when I said that I was going to DC for my birthday.

It's a beautiful day, which gives rise to the question - what do I do today? Kate is off at law school (note to self: stop it already with the friends who are in law school. Find friends in other professions. Law students have too much work.) That means I have the entire day to do what I wish. By myself.

By myself.

I do appreciate a certain amount of "me" time, but really, there are only certain things I can do by myself. This is largely composed of shopping and going to museums. That's about it. Perhaps I'm just too insecure, but I like to have company. I tried to go to the movies by myself once. I swear there were two guys having sex behind me in the theatre. It definitely sounded like it. Okay, fine, so it was a French film in the Union Square cinemas in NYC, and there were maybe all of 15 people there, so perhaps I was asking for it - but still. That was the last time I went to the movies by myself.

In particular, I hate dining in public by myself. I know that you are not looked down upon or thought to be sad if you do this, but I just can't. I would rather return to my apartment and eat in privacy there. But sometimes circumstances just render this impractical. For example, when I had my internship in Paris, even though I had 90-minute lunches, it just didn't make sense for me to take the métro all the way back to my apartment (even though it was all of a 10-15 minute ride - yet I would take the 20-minute métro ride to Réciproque to look at clothes, hmm) to eat. So unless I could convince someone to meet me for lunch, I'd just buy a sandwich and be a gross American and walk around window-shopping near my office, nibbling on a sandwich saucisson while I whiled away my lunch break. Maybe this is why I lost so much weight in Paris, I was walking All The Time. (note #2 to self: do this more often. Then you can eat a ton and remain skinny. Okay, less fat.)

I think I've only dined solo in public just once in my entire life. Actually, that was the last time I was in DC, and it was at Teaism, which is more like Starbucks than a real restaurant. So I don't know if it really counts.

And today, it would be impractical for me to return to Kate's apartment just for lunch, as she lives all the way out in Bethesda and I wanted to go to the National Gallery and the Hirshhorn today.

So I'm gonna have to suck it up. I'm gonna be brave. I'm gonna find a real restaurant for lunch. And I'm gonna have to eat by myself. GAH. Thankfully, I have downloaded a number of books to my PDA, so I'll have something to read.

As long as there aren't two (or, ew, more) guys having sex behind me, I should be okay.