I am in LOOOOOOOOVE.*
Not that I don't indulge myself enough. I can find excuses to buy anything.
But no matter. It is my birthday in a week. That's right, 7 days. The perfect excuse to buy myself something.
So what if I've already used this excuse for a spa day last weekend in NY. Oh, and also for next weekend's trip to DC. See, I need something material to mark the day of my birth. Something that will last.
This generally means jewelry. Last year, I bought myself a rather pretty ring. Hm, I wonder where I put it. I stopped wearing jewelry during the summer because it was so damn hot.
Anyway, until yesterday, I was rather stymied as to what to buy myself. I have tons of jewelry. I have lots of clothes and shoes and really, I need something standout and spectacular, because I always have severly major issues turning one year older. But I didn't know what to get! No, the option of just saving my money doesn't work. You see, it will be my birthday. If that's not the best excuse to shop, I don't know what is.
I toyed with the idea of diamond earrings. A bigger pair. But even I can't really justify this purchase, because they're a wee bit expensive and I have a tendency to lose my earrings. Sigh. But they're so pretty and sparkly.
Then, oooooooooh, how about a fur collar? They're so in right now, and really, they'll never go out of style. Warm and furry. Yum. But still, a tad pricey for something I'll use infrequently.
I took the day off work yesterday because I had a meeting with my advisor, and afterwards I wandered the streets of Harvard Square, browsing in stores. And then I visited this consignment shop. And ohmygod, if my birthday present wasn't just there, waiting for me.
A mid-calf length, honey-brown mink coat. With a gorgeous shawl collar that can be flipped up to protect one's face from the elements. Very few flaws in the jacket - the lining is still intact without holes, and the previous owner's name is even embroidered in it (which is a lovely touch).
And it fit.
And it was only $100.
Even if the person selling it lied to me, it's still cheaper than a fake (and if she lied, it was about what type of fur it is, not whether it's real or not) Even though I'm going to have to rework it (make it shorter and slimmer - ooh, then I'll have enough for a separate stole! Ergh, do not want to think about how much this will cost, but I suppose a price must be paid for custom work) it will still be cheaper than a real or fake fur.
Goshdarnit, I'm a grad student. What the hell am I doing, waltzing into class with a fur coat on. Because believe me, I'll do it.
This is the bestest birthday present ever! I would sleep in it if I wasn't afraid I'd ruin it. It makes the fact that I'm one year closer to a quarter of a century that much more bearable.
*Upon saying that "I AM IN LOOOOVE!" several people have asked me if I am in love with Charlie or my coat. Let's get this straight. I am in LUST with Charlie. I am in LOVE with my coat. LOVE. COAT. Simple!
But no matter. It is my birthday in a week. That's right, 7 days. The perfect excuse to buy myself something.
So what if I've already used this excuse for a spa day last weekend in NY. Oh, and also for next weekend's trip to DC. See, I need something material to mark the day of my birth. Something that will last.
This generally means jewelry. Last year, I bought myself a rather pretty ring. Hm, I wonder where I put it. I stopped wearing jewelry during the summer because it was so damn hot.
Anyway, until yesterday, I was rather stymied as to what to buy myself. I have tons of jewelry. I have lots of clothes and shoes and really, I need something standout and spectacular, because I always have severly major issues turning one year older. But I didn't know what to get! No, the option of just saving my money doesn't work. You see, it will be my birthday. If that's not the best excuse to shop, I don't know what is.
I toyed with the idea of diamond earrings. A bigger pair. But even I can't really justify this purchase, because they're a wee bit expensive and I have a tendency to lose my earrings. Sigh. But they're so pretty and sparkly.
Then, oooooooooh, how about a fur collar? They're so in right now, and really, they'll never go out of style. Warm and furry. Yum. But still, a tad pricey for something I'll use infrequently.
I took the day off work yesterday because I had a meeting with my advisor, and afterwards I wandered the streets of Harvard Square, browsing in stores. And then I visited this consignment shop. And ohmygod, if my birthday present wasn't just there, waiting for me.
A mid-calf length, honey-brown mink coat. With a gorgeous shawl collar that can be flipped up to protect one's face from the elements. Very few flaws in the jacket - the lining is still intact without holes, and the previous owner's name is even embroidered in it (which is a lovely touch).
And it fit.
And it was only $100.
Even if the person selling it lied to me, it's still cheaper than a fake (and if she lied, it was about what type of fur it is, not whether it's real or not) Even though I'm going to have to rework it (make it shorter and slimmer - ooh, then I'll have enough for a separate stole! Ergh, do not want to think about how much this will cost, but I suppose a price must be paid for custom work) it will still be cheaper than a real or fake fur.
Goshdarnit, I'm a grad student. What the hell am I doing, waltzing into class with a fur coat on. Because believe me, I'll do it.
This is the bestest birthday present ever! I would sleep in it if I wasn't afraid I'd ruin it. It makes the fact that I'm one year closer to a quarter of a century that much more bearable.
*Upon saying that "I AM IN LOOOOVE!" several people have asked me if I am in love with Charlie or my coat. Let's get this straight. I am in LUST with Charlie. I am in LOVE with my coat. LOVE. COAT. Simple!
0 Comments:
Enregistrer un commentaire
<< Home