mercredi, septembre 01, 2004

I love him, I love him not.

When in doubt, make a pros-and-cons list.

Pros regarding Charlie: He's tall. He's cute. He has pretty eyes. He has a great body. He is effusive with the compliments. He's good in bed. He's smart and well-read and funny.

Cons: He prefers beer to wine. He dislikes France. He is a Republican. He's suffering from a minor inferiority complex from going from having been such a big dork at college to being reasonably cool in the real world. He is a 1st-year law student in another city - a situation too similar to how I started out with fuckwit.

Do I try to pursue something more, or do I leave it as what it is, a purely physical affair? I do like this guy, and a lot. But yet the timing is all wrong. Were he in Boston, or were he not a law student - things could potentially be different. But he's not and he is, and it's just too much.

And it's not fair to me. It's a new start for me too. I can't possibly start off again even partially tied to a person in another city. Not to mention that I'm at a point in my life where I don't necessarily want commitment.

In retrospect, I've tried to take his effusive compliments with a grain of salt, that while they were lovely indeed and I let them go to my silly head, they were just what I labeled them in the beginning - glib lines. Trying to reconcile his pretty words with the fact that he's another freewheeling guy who'll say anything to get a girl into bed.

I asked Brooke to find out his side, but I'm not even sure I want to hear that at this point. Maybe he'd like to start something, but thinks that I'm talking to him just for the sex. Or maybe he talks to me just for the sex. Who knows. But I think that I'd rather not know which way he swings at this point.

On top of it, I need to stop looking at my horoscope for help. But just look at how accurate my horoscope is. For example, Monday morning (the day after I got back from New York) it said:
You are barely into this possible new romance and already you're worrying about it. Why? The details are very confusing, but the basic attraction seems intact, so you have nothing to worry about right now.
HELLO. Does that NOT apply to my situation? Tuesday morning, it read:
The current may be swifter than it appears. Proceed slowly and with caution. This is a maintenance day, not a progress day, so don't worry if you don't end up leaps and bounds ahead of where you were yesterday. All in good time. It will happen.
And then today?
A dear one will make an extremely startling revelation -- but you won't be put off by it. You may be tickled to hear about just how much you're appreciated -- but isn't it high time that happened? It'll feel like you've been struck by lightning, but it's just some change heading toward you. Something big and a little scary is coming your way that might just inspire you to great new things...If your date's being flaky or your mate's in an impenetrable haze at the beginning of the week, give them (and yourself) a break by letting things move at their own pace. If you do try to push things along, communication breakdowns will likely ensue, so it's best to relax.
Even though Karina says that there's a Portuguese expression that says something along the lines of, "There's more between the earth and the heavens than can be grasped by our paltry human philosophy," while the stars may be right, their translation may be wrong.

So I'm going to let things lie, and see what happens. Oh, but this doesn't mean that I won't get in touch the next time I'm in New York. I might not necessarily want a relationship with him. But I'm not eschewing the possibility of getting laid every time I'm in the city. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.