jeudi, octobre 28, 2004

Crazy people EVERYWHERE.

I don't understand sports fanaticism. If I were interested in social psychology, I'd consider making this the topic of my dissertation, which would be entitled along the lines of: "When otherwise normal people become hooligans and boors: the psychopathology of sports fans and their maniacal team devotion."

It sounds so good.

So my roommate and I decided to venture across the river to Kenmore to check out the crazy fans. (Yes, we willingly went to riotland. See yesterday's post where I'm obviously not quite right in the brain.) Here is something I don't understand - why was everyone chanting "Yankees suck!!!!" WHY? Stupid people, you were playing the Cardinals, even I know that.

Here are some pictures. Unfortunately, my camera kept malfunctioning (read: I don't really know how to use my camera) so they are not as good as I'd have liked.


These are cops. They are in their riot gear. They looked so cute walking around en masse, like little black-helmeted Stormtroopers. This is at some point at the top of the ninth, ie before things got crazy. They got lots of photos taken of them. I bet they felt like the Swiss Guards at the Vatican.


Here is one of many crazy fans. See the guy in the brown leather jacket glued to his phone? He was talking to someone who was really watching the game, and periodically he would yell something unintelligable. Unfortunately, my camera malfunctioned when I tried to take a picture of these two guys dressed up as the Ghostbusters. It was sort of funny.




This was right after the Red Sox won. People were making out (namely, the aforementioned guy in brown jacket with a girl I really hope he knew), champagne was opened, rolls of toilet paper tossed around. And people were waving their brooms around. (Get it? The Red Sox SWEPT the World Series! Gosh, they're clever on that side of the river.) And lots of yelling. And again, "Yankees suck!" Dude. At least get the team right, you morons.



My roommate and I decided after 20 minutes that we had had quite enough of this zoo. And there were no cute guys. So we left. Here are more crowd pictures. I thought it would have been pretty funny if at the bottom of the ninth, the Cardinals had the bases loaded and then hit a grand slam, sending 4 men home. Then the score would have been 3-4 Cardinals, and then all these crazy people wouldn't have gotten to mass congregate. Then again, they probably would have anyway. Boorish thugs. Or is it thuggish boors?


These people are hanging onto the fence on the bridge. Hopefully, it's strong enough and won't fall over, which would all these people to fall onto the Mass Turnpike.


This is a picture of a camera man who rented a room in the hotel above the Pizzera Uno. Smart cookie, stay out of the mess.


This is me attempting to take a picture of the crowd on the other bridge. Unfortunately, it didn't really quite work, as you can tell.


This is not just a blank shot! Oh no! Those two little dots are helicopters! Not smudges on your monitor/my viewfinder! There were at least 6 helicopters circling overhead. I was going to take a picture of the lunar eclipse as well, but it would have ended up looking like this one.

"What have the Red Sox done for New England?" one of the newscasters asked. Gah. I'm not even going to go into the ridiculousness of that question. All I have to say is - thankfully it's FINALLY over.