Civilised drunkenness.
Look at how cute my glasses are! And that ugly centerpiece is so NOT mine, it's my roommate's.
Vanilla pecan squares
Menu
Cocktail: Cranberry vodka punch
Starters: White bean and nut butter dip and curried hummus
Entree: Oven-roasted mojito chicken with mixed greens and rice
Dessert: Vanilla pecan squares and chocolate chili bites
That's right, after all that talk I only have two pictures. Why, you ask? Apparently I was way drunker than I thought I was, as evidenced by the fact that I don't actually really remember anything that happened that night after the first half-hour. I could've sworn I didn't drink that much, but apparently I did. And if I can't really remember the night, you really think I remembered to take pictures? Good thing I'm a functional alcoholic because everyone had lots of fun and didn't really realise that I was that drunk. I do remember that the food was very pretty and smelled very good and that everyone consumed a lot of it - yet I still have leftovers, because I cooked too freaking much. I have enough food to feed myself for the next two weeks. If anyone is around and wants lots of various dips, please let me know.
Let's see if I can describe the food. The dips were zesty and flavourful, a nice light way to start out the evening while waiting for everyone to show up. The cocktail was modified with extra vodka (of course!) and a dash of club soda and garnished with fresh cranberries I'd gotten when I was on the Cape a couple of weekends ago. The chicken, having been marinated for over 24 hours and roasted quite to perfection, if I may say so myself, was lovely and moist, nearly falling off the bone. And dessert - I preferred the vanilla pecan squares, as they were almost shortbreadish and light, a touch rummy, but if you were into decadence, then the chocolate chili bites were for you - a dense flourless chocolate cake spiced up a bit with chili powder, served with a scoop of ice cream to balance out the chocolately richness.
I'm trying to think of what happened. Hm. I vaguely remember talking to Mark of Brookeandmark and being amused that he assumes that I talk to Charlie all the time. I also remember explaining my rationale for renaming Charlie Charlie, and that people really didn't understand. It's so simple - he looks like a Charlie, therefore he is a Charlie. The brat dog - who does respond to "Stupid", by the way - was in heaven because he was the center of attention for much of the night. Mark of Brookeandmark and I tried to feed it vegetables which was a lot of fun. Stupid runt. We almost were able to hand him off to some of my friends, but apparently they hadn't had as much to drink as I had. Brooke of Brookeandmark and I wanted to kill Katie because she is a freaking anorexic and if she thinks she's fooling anyone, she really isn't. She took over hostessing duties for me because she says she loves hostessing - I personally think she's too forceful and is one of those camp counselor-ish we-are-going-to-have-fun-come-hell-or-high-water types but hey, at least she cleaned up for me - and later said that she loved being the hostess because, and I quote, "If I am the hostess then people don't notice if I don't eat." HELLO?!?! Eating is FUN. I LIVE to eat.
And drink. I definitely live to drink. Really, when I asked each guest to bring some wine, I honestly did not mean that each person should bring enough wine for the whole party. I expected that each person would bring one bottle - but oh no, each person brought at least 3 bottles of wine. And there were a total of 8 people present. Minus Katie and my roommate, because I didn't ask them to bring anything - well, there was still a lot to drink . What I spent on food I more than made back in wine. Awesome.
I forgot how much I enjoy hosting dinner parties. I love cooking, and when you cook, someone else has to clean up, and I really hate cleaning. I am good at making messes but not so good at picking up after myself. And everyone oohs and aahs over the fact that you've slaved in a hot kitchen, and hey, who doesn't like fawning? That's right. I throw parties because I am a vain duckling. And that's why people love me.
0 Comments:
Enregistrer un commentaire
<< Home