lundi, novembre 01, 2004

A weekend at the shore.

I was going to go down to NY this past weekend, but then for some reason, just did not want to go. It was a combination of the drive and the fact that when I'm in NY, I usually need another weekend to recover from the late nights of boozin' that inevitably happen. I needed a relaxing weekend. Anyway, my friend Steph had the brilliant idea of renting a house on the Cape for the weekend - since it was off-season, it was cheaper. After a couple of frantic days looking for houses, we ended up in this lovely place in Eastham. There were four of us - 3 girls, and 1 poor boy. He was introduced to a lot of estrogen this weekend. I felt slightly sorry for him, but he knew what he was getting into. Overall, it was a lovely relaxing weekend - definitely good to be AWAY from internet access. We drank a lot (okay, so that never changes), ate a lot, slept a lot. What more does one need?


This is the house we stayed in in Eastham. It was built in 1968. It was so cute. I got the pink bedroom, of course. The owners live next door and they have an organic vineyard, which I think is super-cool.


So Steph was all Little Miss Martha Stewart this weekend. Before we headed to the Cape, she made sugar cookies and bought frosting so we could frost them. Derek did not think this was fun at all and started to instead judge us on output quantities, which I think describes our personalities very well. Theresa was quick, perfunctory and efficient. Steph took her time and produced very pretty cookies. I was quick only when I didn't get distracted, which was often. I got bored of the limited Halloween colours so I made pastel colours instead. You can tell which cookies are mine - they're all the marbelised ones. I am only creative up to a certain point. We decorated three platefuls of cookies. Steph was going to make us carve pumpkins too, but thankfully she couldn't find pumpkins that were good enough for her. There are only so many crafts one can do in a weekend.


This is at Nauset Light(house) Beach. LOOK AT HOW PRETTY IT IS! We couldn't get over it. I was in a tank top and a skirt and flipflops. On the last day of October on the East coast. It was lovely.



I took lots of shadow pictures because I thought they were fun. I especially liked the way the water ran over (under?) in the photo to the left. In the right, Steph tried to make us pose like Charlie's Angels but we were having none of that. And her finger got in the way, too. Hrmph.


These are before and after pictures of what Stephanie called her Tsunami project. She built a village with the sole purpose of having it get destroyed by the waves. Then she trampled on top of it afterwards. What a cruel god she would be.


Steph and me doing cartwheels on the beach. I generally have much better form, but that was like the 10th cartwheel I had to do because Steph couldn't take the picture at the right moment. That, and I was scared of flashing the entire beach. So there are a series of pictures of me doing cartwheels. There was an especially attractive one with my underwear showing, which I am obviously not posting (yes, my fears came true). I'm getting old, boy did my wrists hurt after doing so many cartwheels.


This is the lighthouse at Nauset and a picture inside the lighthouse looking up. We learned a lot about lighthouses. The picture on the right, I thought was sort of fun - then it reminded me of pictures in math textbooks, and that wasn't so fun anymore. Math. It's everywhere you want to be.

We also went to Wellfleet, Provincetown (home of the tallest all-granite structure!), Orleans and Chatham, but it was cloudy and we just walked around the towns so there are unfortunately no scenic pictures.