lundi, décembre 20, 2004

Holiday party recap.



Menu:
*Proscuitto and gruyere pastry pinwheels
*Baked brie with sun-dried tomatoes and garlic
*Marinated mediterranean olives
*Toasted spice rub almonds
*Hummus
*Roasted pepper and white bean dip
*Raspberry cheesecake brownies
*Cardamom sugar cookies
*Cranberry and white chocolate cookies

All in all, a rather pleasant time. I had some surprise guests from medical school, which was nice since I hadn't seen them in awhile. Unfortunately, as all the rest of pictures were taken by one of these med school guys, they're rather inappropriate as he is one of those guys who's a gigantic ball of inappropriateness. As in, the only pictures of me feature my chest. Yes, a quite lovely feature if I do say so myself, but not really something you can show to Mom.

Ooh, I just remembered, and I have to write this down somewhere so that I don't forget - if Nicky's company lands this client (I am not deliberately being vague; I keep forgetting what his job actually entails) he'll take me to the Kentucky Derby. When he said this, Emily and I turned to each other and she said, "You HAVE to wear your pink BCBG dress" at the same time I said, "The pink BCBG dress. I'm wearing that." (I bought this dress a year and a half ago and STILL HAVE NOT WORN IT. It is so pretty, but I'm just looking for the appropriate occassion. That, and I have this problem where I am continually buying new dresses thus if I don't have enough events, some unfortunately go unworn.) Great minds, people. Great minds. And then he likened it to Pretty Woman, and I'm not really sure how that connection works since really, I'm not a prostitute and he's not the guy who's paid for my services. But the Kentucky Derby. I could - no, would have to buy a pretty hat - I'm thinking big floppy-brimmed one. And I'd get to drink mint juleps. I was made for events like this.

One more thing about the RSVPing thing, and I swear I'll let it rest (for now): As Emily Post states, "Canceling because you have a “better” offer is a sure fire way to get dropped from ALL the guest lists". And as Lux pointed out, it's only acceptable to cancel an RSVP in the event of death or an invitation to the White House. Yet, three cancellations, and only one is forgiveable since that girl's mother had surgery. Those other two people who cancelled at the last minute are not dead (yet!) and did not get invites to the White House. And you can bet your ass those two are NOT getting invited again. For the jackass whose excuse was, "I don't really have a good excuse, but I might have a lot of work," that is NOT an excuse. As a matter of fact, that (and other excuses that do not involve death, illness or some other unfortunate accident) is(are) a straight ticket to my shit list where you will stay there indefinitely. I am a pro at holding grudges. Not healthy, perhaps, but dammit, those people deserve it.

It's okay. I'll get back to looking morosely at the snow (California in two days!) and dreaming about my big floppy hat. Nicky's team better land this deal, that's all I'm saying.