Things that annoy me, #2377891
When a married friend (right, she's married at 24, dated her husband for SIX years before that, to say she has no idea how the whole dating ritual works is an understatement, but that's annoyance #2377892) asks how many people are coming to the holiday party. Why? Do you think she's going to offer to help, especially since she knows that you have never been more swamped with work?
HAH.
Me: Obviously I went a little overboard with inviting. I am right now trying to figure out what to make because I'm going to have to do it in stages, interspersed between my work. Sigh.
Her: You're just doing appetizer type stuff, right? That shouldn't be too, too bad.
[Thanks SO MUCH for the sympathy there, missy.]
Me: For potentially over 16 people? HAHAHA. People eat. I don't have time to be cooking! I should be working. But off I am to the market.
Her: You can just buy a bunch of stuff at Whole Foods?
Here is what is oh-so-wrong with her reasoning:
1) Obviously these parties are just training for when I get married and take on the role of Best Wife Ever*. And being the future Best Wife Ever means that you should be able to make things from scratch. My inner Martha Stewart wouldn't have it any other way.
2) Whole Foods gets really expensive really quickly, and besides, their prepared foods always have one weird ingredient which throws everything off. Plus, what's the point of serving already-prepared grocery stuff?
3) Having people ooh and aah over your cooking is great for the ego**.
4) Thinking up a menu is time-wasting fun. Cooking for a party is also fun. This then brings you back to reason #3.
5) We have known each other since we were 9 do you not remember who you are talking to? When I have a party I have a party and it does not involve stuff that people can just pick up in a store themselves.
I mean, yes, I know I'm hosting the party and I am not expecting any help (please! Future Best Wife Ever doesn't need help!) but just the offer would've been nice (take for instance, my friend Emily who has announced that she will be bringing over several bottles of wine and dinner beforehand, and that I don't get any say), especially if you are being all nosy about head count. Let's not even get into the fact that she did NOT RSVP properly, saying that her husband "might or might not" come. That is not an RSVP***. Why, are you not going to show up if there are too many people? Because ACK! That's right! You two don't socialise with people who don't come paired up****. We are not in preparation for Noah's Ark here, people.
Let it be said that she's never hosted a party of any sort. I've been over to her apartment a whopping two times in the past three years, and both times it was me and her and her husband, and it was her husband who did all the cooking and cleaning.
Yes, I'm just a little grumpy. But really. I'm going to be interested to see if she even brings a hostess gift. Manners, people. Manners.
Horoscope update:
*Obviously I am tired of school and just want to get married and have rugrats. I am still somewhat sane though, and know that I would not make a very good mother as of yet, because babies right now are little toys and I don't like gross bodily functions. If my kid came housetrained, that would be another story.
**Married friend wouldn't know this, because she does little-to-none of the cooking in her house. Her husband does it all. She did take a cooking class once, and all she learned was the "correct" way to dice vegetables. I wish I was joking, but I'm not.
***RSVP means répondez, s’il vous plaît. In plain English, it means: respond, please. Or in other words, don't be an inconsiderate cow and freaking let me know of your intentions, NOT A MAYBE, so that I can figure out how much I have to be cooking. Read your Emily Post. And if you don't plan on coming, let me know that too!
****Again, you think I'm joking. I'm not. I am probably the ONLY single friend she has. Wait, let's say that again. I am one of the few friends she has because she is a WIFE and you know as a WIFE you don't have your own friends, you have your husband's friends. I have asked them numerous times to find me someone, even though I hate law school students (he is in law school) but that's right. All "their" friends are MARRIED.
HAH.
Me: Obviously I went a little overboard with inviting. I am right now trying to figure out what to make because I'm going to have to do it in stages, interspersed between my work. Sigh.
Her: You're just doing appetizer type stuff, right? That shouldn't be too, too bad.
[Thanks SO MUCH for the sympathy there, missy.]
Me: For potentially over 16 people? HAHAHA. People eat. I don't have time to be cooking! I should be working. But off I am to the market.
Her: You can just buy a bunch of stuff at Whole Foods?
Here is what is oh-so-wrong with her reasoning:
1) Obviously these parties are just training for when I get married and take on the role of Best Wife Ever*. And being the future Best Wife Ever means that you should be able to make things from scratch. My inner Martha Stewart wouldn't have it any other way.
2) Whole Foods gets really expensive really quickly, and besides, their prepared foods always have one weird ingredient which throws everything off. Plus, what's the point of serving already-prepared grocery stuff?
3) Having people ooh and aah over your cooking is great for the ego**.
4) Thinking up a menu is time-wasting fun. Cooking for a party is also fun. This then brings you back to reason #3.
5) We have known each other since we were 9 do you not remember who you are talking to? When I have a party I have a party and it does not involve stuff that people can just pick up in a store themselves.
I mean, yes, I know I'm hosting the party and I am not expecting any help (please! Future Best Wife Ever doesn't need help!) but just the offer would've been nice (take for instance, my friend Emily who has announced that she will be bringing over several bottles of wine and dinner beforehand, and that I don't get any say), especially if you are being all nosy about head count. Let's not even get into the fact that she did NOT RSVP properly, saying that her husband "might or might not" come. That is not an RSVP***. Why, are you not going to show up if there are too many people? Because ACK! That's right! You two don't socialise with people who don't come paired up****. We are not in preparation for Noah's Ark here, people.
Let it be said that she's never hosted a party of any sort. I've been over to her apartment a whopping two times in the past three years, and both times it was me and her and her husband, and it was her husband who did all the cooking and cleaning.
Yes, I'm just a little grumpy. But really. I'm going to be interested to see if she even brings a hostess gift. Manners, people. Manners.
Horoscope update:
Yes, yes, it's the day you've been waiting for -- a day of pure romance. Just be sure to put your sometimes critical personality on hold. Instead of being critical, be creative. It will feel so much better.Stupid horoscope, forever getting my hopes up.
*Obviously I am tired of school and just want to get married and have rugrats. I am still somewhat sane though, and know that I would not make a very good mother as of yet, because babies right now are little toys and I don't like gross bodily functions. If my kid came housetrained, that would be another story.
**Married friend wouldn't know this, because she does little-to-none of the cooking in her house. Her husband does it all. She did take a cooking class once, and all she learned was the "correct" way to dice vegetables. I wish I was joking, but I'm not.
***RSVP means répondez, s’il vous plaît. In plain English, it means: respond, please. Or in other words, don't be an inconsiderate cow and freaking let me know of your intentions, NOT A MAYBE, so that I can figure out how much I have to be cooking. Read your Emily Post. And if you don't plan on coming, let me know that too!
****Again, you think I'm joking. I'm not. I am probably the ONLY single friend she has. Wait, let's say that again. I am one of the few friends she has because she is a WIFE and you know as a WIFE you don't have your own friends, you have your husband's friends. I have asked them numerous times to find me someone, even though I hate law school students (he is in law school) but that's right. All "their" friends are MARRIED.
0 Comments:
Enregistrer un commentaire
<< Home