jeudi, novembre 04, 2004

Cruelly getting my hopes up.

Before I launch into my tirade du jour, I'd just like to point out in reality, I really don't have time to be dating or investing feelings and emotions in a member of the opposite sex. No, my time is completely booked reading papers, writing papers, thinking about papers and (for a change of pace) planning events for the grad school. That's right. This previously happy-go-lucky lass has been somehow transformed into a being whose life rotates around school. In the past, I would have made vicious fun of someone like the person I currently am. And in what little spare time I have left, I try to abuse my liver to the best of its capacity. Life's hard as a grad student. Someone tell me again why I'm doing this. Oh right. Because the world needs more educators. HAH.

(No, that wasn't the tirade. Fooled you, didn't I.)

ANYHOW. What I would like to point out is that my horoscope has been promising for WEEKS now that I'd be meeting someone. By someone, I like to think that means someone I can sleep with. And by sleep I mean have lots of sex. Remember - no time for relationships. Recently enough got out of a relationship - no current desire for another one. And I want someone In This City. (That is why Charlie's out of the running - seeing him once every three weeks really isn't enough for me, no matter how charming and adorable he may be. Doesn't help that the last THREE guys I have slept with are all Not In The City In Which I Was/Am Living. What's wrong with me? Before you go spouting something about commitment-phobia, know that I am already aware of this flaw.) And I want someone new - not somebody I already know. I already know that the guys I know adore me. I'm tired of that. I want new adoration.

(Whine whine whine. Me me ME. Wanting her cake and wanting to eat it too. That's me alright. I was Marie Antoinette in a past life, didn't you know? Glad to know that some things haven't changed.)

To prove to you that I'm not just complaining for the sake of complaining, here was yesterday's daily overview:
Friends are a very special gift, no matter when they come along -- but you're due to meet someone especially wonderful, and soon. Ready or not, start extending that hand.
And here is part of today's horoscope:
Place yourself in the dead center of a lively social circle, and watch the world revolve around you*. You'll recharge your romantic batteries from the sheer energy of it all (and you may experience a special spark).
To rub salt into this wound, here's my weekly romance horoscope:
You're quick on the draw with the cold, hard logic on Monday, and you know there's some area of your love life that could benefit from a showdown. Be bold and reap the rewards of being a romantic outlaw! Tuesday through Thursday, plans with family and friends (particularly female ones) are key. You may be the underdog in some matter of the heart on Friday or Saturday, but you're a very cute underdog, and the right person is rooting for you. Sunday kicks off a couple days when love's ready to fall at your feet. Catch it!
For your benefit, I have highlighted the words and phrases that mention/suggest imminent love. See. I'm NOT making things up. And really, the only social circle I'm seeing today are my classes (HAH) and this meeting I have to go to since I'm planning a conference. Right. So not meeting anyone.

Yes, I know I already said that I don't have time for dating. That's dating. I'm talking about sleeping with someone. And my horoscope apparently seems to think I'm going to find the (new) love of my life. THIS WEEKEND.

We'll see about that. Logically, I know it isn't gonna happen. But it's just not nice of Mr. Horoscope Creator to taunt me like that.


*But I thought it already did!